All Cybertrucks recalled because acceleration pedals can become stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sims

Staff
PSA: Tesla vehicles have suffered multiple recalls, but they tend to result from software problems that the company can address through over-the-air (OTA) updates without physically returning the cars. However, drivers have discovered a serious problem with the Cybertruck that software patches can't fix.

The US Department of Transportation has issued a recall for all Tesla Cybertrucks due to a defect that can cause the acceleration pedal to become stuck under the interior trim, leading to unintentional and sustained acceleration. Fortunately, pressing the brake pedal simultaneously will stop the truck.

Tesla will repair or replace affected accelerators for free under recall number SB-24-33-003 and mail notices to owners starting in June. Owners can call Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752 or visit their website at tesla.com/contact.

The company received the earliest known customer complaint over the issue at the end of March. Testing and further customer claims confirmed that the problem is widespread enough to warrant a recall.

A TikTok video from a Cybertruck owner illustrates how grave the issue is. In the clip, user @el.chepito1985 shows that the pedal's cover can slide off and into the path of the interior trim, keeping the accelerator at full throttle. He claims this defect presented itself to him while driving, but he could fortunately stop and park the vehicle before suffering a crash.

Tesla cars have suffered recalls before from problems with acceleration, autopilot, camera feeds, and other features. However, these were software problems that the company solved through OTA patches. A recall requiring physical service for each Cybertruck will likely further damage the vehicle's already tarnished reputation.

Multiple delays plagued the truck's rollout earlier this year, reportedly due to serious concerns about its design. Although the final production model resolved the glass durability shortcomings from the Cybertruck's embarrassing unveiling, post-launch tests showed that it fell short of its advertised driving range, forcing Tesla to revise it.

In related news, the company's vehicle deliveries last quarter fell by over eight percent year-over-year. Tesla blames the slide on factors like preparations for the production of the updated Model 3, the Berlin Gigafctory arson attack, and shipment delays stemming from attacks in the Red Sea. These and other problems have likely contributed to a steady decline in the company's stock price over the past few days.

Permalink to story:

So they know about it now (and did for a few weeks already) but owners won’t be informed until June?

Got to love how the auto-industry operates.

To be clear, I’m sure this is how it works for every auto company , not just Tesla.

There are so many problems with the Cybertruck. I love the design of it but all the other issues are just plain ridiculous.

I heard a comedian on TV describe it as, "looking like a futuristic coffin", and I find it difficult, if not impossible, to disagree. :rolleyes:
For me it's not so much that I love the design per se as it is that it is so different from other cars. So many car designs are boring these days, it's nice to see the variety. I do like some of the angular aesthetics about it, but I do see the "futuristic coffin" look about it, too.

When will the board finally get rid of the Muskovite?
You mean the man who turned the bankrupt company into a trillion-dollar organization in just half a decade's time, against what every independent observer termed insurmountable competition? I'm guessing they're intending to fire him roundabout the year 2900.

For me it's not so much that I love the design per se as it is that it is so different from other cars. So many car designs are boring these days, it's nice to see the variety. I do like some of the angular aesthetics about it, but I do see the "futuristic coffin" look about it, too.
All I see at first is that enormous likely $5,000, windscreen.

You mean the man who turned the bankrupt company into a trillion-dollar organization in just half a decade's time, against what every independent observer termed insurmountable competition? I'm guessing they're intending to fire him roundabout the year 2900.
Here's the thing, what I will give Musk credit for, is that he's likely one of the best salesmen, the world has ever known.

See, you joined in 2020, whilst I joined in 2006. So, I've watched a whole lot if Tesla big money losing quarters. Oddly, Tesla stock soared in value, no matter how much money he lost. Musk would always divert attention from such bad financial news, by concocting some bullsh!t. One time, when Tesla lost a quarter billion in a quarter, Musk proceeded to call a press conference to model his new "designer space suit".

In reality, Musk's fast talkin' crap, led his stockholders to prop him up. I wouldn't say Musk is solely responsible for Tesla' "success".

Then there was his "Gigafactory" in China. Well, most manufacturing is done in China these days, and after all, he had milked as much money from the US government as he possibly could, so why not build a factory in China? To be fair, everybody else is doing it, why not our boy Elon?

But, Tesla has gone downhill a bit, now that electric vehicles are being embraced buy the public and long established manufacturers alike. (As has been predicted by myself and others).

Musk never lives up to his own hype, promises, or time frame,and it appears his Cyberrtruck groupies have been put on hold yet again.

But they'll wait patiently, because Musk said it would happen, (eventually). And really, who do we mere mortals to contradict, lack faith in, or dispute, the word of a self proclaimed demigod?

See, you joined in 2020, whilst I joined in 2006. So, I've watched a whole lot if Tesla big money losing quarters. Oddly, Tesla stock soared in value, no matter how much money he lost.
I may have joined this forum in 2020, but believe it or not, I existed on Planet Earth before then. There are so many errors and misuinderstandings of both Tesla and corporate finance in general above it's difficult to address them. But let's try a few.

1. The stock value a firm is a forward-looking indicator, not a measure of present performance. In a case of a tech startup, investors may be thinking decades into the future -- Amazon lost ever-larger quantities of money for over 15 years before eventually turning a profit. So?

2. The idea that Musk brought nothing to Tesla but "slick salesmanship" is pure ignorance. All their primary technical innovations -- innovations that industry observers all at first claimed were either outright mistakes or dangerous gambles -- paid off in spades. Other EV makers bought expensive batteries from other firms. Musk built his own Gigafactories to produce them. Other EV makers followed the century-old auto standard of assembling cars in tiny pieces. Musk used his brand new Giga-pressing (which other automakers are now copying). And while other EV makers treated charging -- the biggest problem by far with EVs -- as an inconvenient afterthought, Musk gave Teslas their own nationwide network of superchargers. Finally, Musk also gave Teslas a huge number of small, but brand-new features that signaled to buyers they were buying something entirely new, rather than a recycled ICE vehicle, such as its network of cameras that can auto-record at the touch of a button, or it's (at the time) industry-leading Autopilot system.

Is this a thread about the Cybertruck or about Elon Musk? It seems everyone is itching to tell you how much they think Musk is deplorable. But I do wonder why, there are far more deplorable CEOs in America than Elon Musk (there are some real pieces of **** out there). And I dont think Musk has done anything to deserve all the criticism. I think people hate him because he exposed the FBI involvment with the censorship of right wing users on Twitter. But personally I love that he did that because personally I believe in freedom of expression for all.

Also im assuming no one here has driven a cybertruck. I drove one for the first time last week, they are excellent pieces of engineering and im curious as to how this pedal thing was found out, you have to be a complete lunatic to put your foot down on a Cybertruck, its crazy fast, so much so that I think it might be faster than my M4. I spent the whole time feathering the throttle and breaking the speed limit! They are a bit cumbersome around town but no more so than any other big truck, actually it feels easier to handle than a regular F150 or so. And if you compare the prices its pretty decent value.

Is this a thread about the Cybertruck or about Elon Musk? It seems everyone is itching to tell you how much they think Musk is deplorable. But I do wonder why, there are far more deplorable CEOs in America than Elon Musk (there are some real pieces of **** out there). And I dont think Musk has done anything to deserve all the criticism. I think people hate him because he exposed the FBI involvment with the censorship of right wing users on Twitter. But personally I love that he did that because personally I believe in freedom of expression for all.
Well, as I stated above, all CEOs, to one extent of another are sociopaths. However, they mostly keep themselves in the shadows.

One salient, out in the open, example of a monumental turd of a CEO, is Satya Nadella of M$. You can generally measure how ruthless they are, by their salaries, and the amount of bonuses they receive. Nadella was just "gifted" with a billion dollar bonus, which should tell you a great deal about his business practices.

As far as whether this thread is about Musk, Tesla, or the Cybertruck in particular, Musk is Tesla, he "designed the Cybertruck". If you call a press conference about the truck, I'm certain he wouldn't hold back about touting and flaunting hs self perceived genius. Which, IMO, the makes three entities inseparable.

Well, the Cybertruck certainly is different. I'm certain if it were included in a video game, I'm sure every power mad "future looking madman", would be clamoring to drive it.

However, were you to hand a design student a fistful of various triangular blocks and told them to "design a truck", you'd have it the next morning, and they'd receive a C for their efforts.

I'd hazard a guess that those who want this thing are extremely aggressive "type "A" personalities, devoid of aesthetic concerns. "I'm powerful, and this allows me to display, project, and even vent my power on others around me."

Last edited:
Is this a thread about the Cybertruck or about Elon Musk? It seems everyone is itching to tell you how much they think Musk is deplorable. But I do wonder why, there are far more deplorable CEOs in America than Elon Musk (there are some real pieces of **** out there). And I dont think Musk has done anything to deserve all the criticism.
I guess you weren't one of the 7800 people he fired on Zoom call?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back